de la puente
Jorge Canals is the partner leading the environmental, energy and natural resources department of our firm.
He has over 12 years of experience providing counsel to and working for the public and private sector, standing out for his involvement in the highest environmental posts of the Chilean public sector, where he has led programs such as the Ministerial Committee for the Implementation of the Law on Recycling Promotion, Extended Liability of Manufacturers, the Inter-ministry Committee for the elaboration, design and implementation of Protected Maritime Areas of Cabo de Hornos and Juan Fernandez, the Technical Committee for the Environmental Assessment Commission of the Metropolitan Region, the Project Santiago Recycles, and the Decontamination Plan for the Metropolitan Region.
Attorney since 2011.
Jorge Canals studied in the Law School of Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, where he was awarded a Bachellor degree in Legal and Social Sciences in 2011.
In addition, he was awarded a UC Law School – LLM with focus on Regulation from Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile in year 2011 and a graduate diploma in Theory and Public Management from Fundacion Konrad Adenauer/ODC in year 2002.
AREA OF PRACTICE
- New contracts and management of extended liability of manufacturers, and generally waste disposal and handling
- Environmental impact assessment of projects and activities
- Punitive environmental administrative law; environmental courts
- Administrative regulation on the conduction and implementation of projects
- New environmental management instruments
- Biodiversity and protected areas
- Environmental liability and criminal environmental law
- In rem right of preservation
- Undersecretary of Environmental Affairs (2017-2018)
- Direction of the Ministerial Committee for the implementation of the Recycling Promotion Law, Extended Liability of Manufacturers
- Direction of the Inter-ministry Committee for the elaboration, design and implementation of Protected Maritime Areas of Cabo de Hornos and Juan Fernandez,
- Coordination of the Committee of Advisors of the Council of Ministers for Sustainability
- Coordination of legislative follow-up for the project introducing the System of Biodiversity and Protected Areas
- Ministerial Regional Secretary of the Environment for the Metropolitan Region (2015-2017)
- Cross-sectional coordinator in environmental affairs of the government of the Metropolitan Region (2014-2015)
- President of the Student Union of Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile (2000)
Spanish and English